Trim, Bumpers, and Lights
Front trim on a Berlina varies depending on its year. 1750 cars have 7 inch outer headlights, with 5 3/4 inch inner driving or fog lights operated by a separate switch from the headlights. Each light has a stainless trim ring. The Alfa heart-shaped grille is a cast "pot metal"shell with stainless horizontal bars, and a press-on Alfa emblem. The shell is very similar to, but will not fit on, a 1750 GTV (and vice-versa). Between the shell and the headlights is black expanded metal mesh with a multi-slat cast, chromed, pot metal trim piece riveted on.
The 2000 front end is different. All four headlights are 5 3/4 inch, operated by the headlight switch, surrounded by stainless trim rings. The Alfa grill is wider and squatter than on the 1750, and bears no resemblance to the contemporary 2000 GTV slatted grille. The area between the lights and the grille is filled by black cast plastic pieces with one horizontal piece of stainless trim.
Front US turn signals in 1969 were amber Carello lights, with chrome cast pot metal bodies mounted in cutouts on the under side of the bumper, and of a design common to many Italian cars, including the 1969 US GTV and Spider reverse light, Fiat 850 Spider reverse lights and turn signals, and some Lamborghinis. From 1971 on, US cars had larger, squarer turn signals mounted in the same cutouts in the bumper. For non-US cars, the turn signals were first mounted on the upper bumper face, near the corners, which had cutouts built in. This was changed fairly soon, perhaps 1969, to a turn signal mounted in the body just above the bumper, and just below the grille, similar to the arrangement on the Giulia sedan. They may be the same light.
The bumpers for US cars through 1973 (and all years for non-US cars) are polished stainless steel with stainless overriders containing a vertical rubber strip. The rear bumper wraps around the fender all the way to the wheelwell. Stainless bumpers, both front and rear, have a screw and post fitting that holds the wrap-around part of the bumper to the fender. 1974 and later 2000 US cars have heavy black rubber impact-absorbing bumpers with a bright silver trim strip. Above, see a photo of a 1974 US 2000 Berlina with rubber bumpers.
Early cars have ALFA ROMEO in block capital letters above the license plate. On early cars, the license plate lights are small round lights in the bumper. Later cars had an overhanging ledge above the license plate, as on the GTV, that held the lights. This ledge contained "ALFA ROMEO" in block capital letters. Early cars had no Alfa badge on the trunk lid; later cars had thebadge in a small recessed circle. US model Berlinas have an "INIEZIONE" cast script near the right tail-light; other markets' cars have a cast 1750 or 2000 script in this location. Non-US car have a small round amber side light on the side of each front fender. 1969 US cars have the same amber light at the front, and a similar red round light on the rear fenders. 1971 and later US cars have large rectangular amber (front) and red (rear) side lights, in common with the GTV, but with a slightly different rubber gasket.
Early US 1750 taillights are 2/3 red, 1/3 white (for reverse), arranged vertically, with a small reflector. They are similar to Giulia Super lights. Early non-US lights are basically the same, with amber instead of red for the turn signal. For US 1750 cars beginning in 1971 (from VIN 1557000) , the taillight was changed (though it fit in the same cutout in the body), with a horizontal cast-in division, and "quartered" light segments. Again, US cars had all red with white reverse light. This light was continued on US 2000 Berlinas and was adopted for non-US Berlinas with the beginning of the 2000 series in late 1971. Non-US markets had amber turn signals on this later style light. I have seen a few lights with no white portion at all. Berlina and Giulia sedan taillights were used on a variety of exotic Italian sports cars of the period, including the 1750 style light being fitted to 1300 Junior Zagatos, and the 2000 style light being fitted to 1600 Junior Zagatos. Lights were made by both Carello and Altissimo.
The windshield wipers are the "clap-hands" variety that sweep towards each other. They are powered by a two-speed motor, and set in a grilled panel that is the air intake for the heater and ventilation system. They park toward the center. There is also a windshield washer, operated by a pneumatic foot press-switch, that also causes the wipers to sweep until the switch is released.
The exterior door handles are substantial chrome cast pot metal with a push button. The front doors are locked by a common key, which also fits the trunk and glove box. The rear doors lock only from the inside. On 1750 cars the trunk opens by turning the key; on 2000 cars the key is merely the lock; pushing in the plunger opens the trunk.
All Berlinas have a small rectangular "designo di Bertone " builder's plate on the lower right front fender, just in front of the door. It has silver writing on a black background. There is a stainless strip under the doors, and stainless trim on the sills. Mirrors on early cars are round, mounted on the driver's door next to the vent wing. Later cars have a larger trapezoidal mirror,with a small Alfa emblem on the front side. There is also a small chrome slatted plastic grille on the C pillar between each rear door and the rear window, which is the extractor vent for the flow-through ventilation. Giulia Supers had a small Alfa emblem here.
The engine compartment and trunk have a small courtesy light that illuminates when the hood or trunk is opened. Berlinas came from the factory with a screw-type jack and a tool kit in the trunk. The kit includes a lug wrench, screwdriver, sparkplug wrench, and a few other tools, and is contained in a fitted black plastic bag.
Copyright © 1997 by Andrew D. Watry
Questions or Comments? Email Me